8 ounces warm water
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
15 ounces all purpose flour
1 tablespoon za'atar spice
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh mozzarella, torn into small chunks
Serves 2 to 4.
- Mix warm water, yeast, and sugar together in a measuring cup or glass, and let sit. In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, and za’atar.
- After 5 minutes, the yeast should be activated and bubbly on top of the water. Add it to the flour and mix together. (If the mixture is dry, add a little water.)
- Knead dough for about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to the bowl and spread. Place the dough in the oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Leave the bowl in a warm spot in the kitchen and let rise for an hour.
- While the dough rises, prepare the onions. Place your Always Pan on low-medium heat with 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onions and a good pinch of salt. Cook the onions for about an hour, stirring occasionally. (Note: Adjust heat as needed if they are cooking too quickly or too slowly. The goal is to cook them down to a dark golden brown without burning them.)
- When the dough and onions are ready, preheat the oven to 450°F on Bake.
- Grab a small fist-sized chunk of the dough. Roll it into a ball, then use a rolling pin to flatten it into an oval shape, about ⅛-inch thick. Lay directly on the wire rack, then top with an even layer of onions and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the wire rack in the oven on the top rack position and add 10 mL (2 teaspoons) of water into the water inlet.