4 to 4.5 pound chicken
1 shallot, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1 to 2 sprigs rosemary
2 to 3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
Avocado or grapeseed oil
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1½ teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder (we recommend Espelette)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon mustard powder
Serves 4 to 6
- Remove chicken from packaging. Pat dry, then stuff the cavity with paper towels, set on a platter or dish, and place uncovered in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to cooking, remove the chicken from the fridge and remove paper towels. In a small bowl, mix together all the spices.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F on Roast.
- Rub the chicken with a light coating of oil, about 1 to 2 teaspoons, then rub the spice mix all over the chicken. Sprinkle some of the spice mix in the cavity and place the shallot, lemon, crushed garlic cloves, and rosemary in the cavity.
(Optional: Truss the chicken with twine. This will help the chicken cook more evenly but is not necessary.)
- Lightly grease the bake pan with oil, then place the chicken on it, and put in the oven on the bottom rack position. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 350°F and cook for another 10 minutes.